not your typical 'christian' marriage.


at his 29th birthday party

okay friends. before i dive in, i just want you to know that this post has been on my heart for quite some time and for whatever reason or another i've ignored the nudging to publish it. it seemed that maybe it wouldn't be relevant to my blog ,but i know what God wants and it is to speak from my heart to tell His story, and on my heart currently is my marriage.
not to worry. nobody is splitting or anything. in fact things right now are really great. i guess i would say on my heart and the prayer that i hold so near to me is for my husband. i pray for my husband's well being, for his health, for prosperity at work.. but most importantly i pray for his salvation.

yes. his salvation.

he believes in the existence of God, in that higher power.
he does not however live for God, pray to God, nor believes in His power over his life and neither on the promises of God. it's a little contradictory if you ask me, but it all comes back to simply not having a relationship with God. i have prayed for many years that my husband come to the feet of Jesus and I hold on to God's promises knowing He will answer my prayer. all in His perfect timing. it's been so difficult. it's been so painful seeing a loved one not experience that same intimate closeness to the Lord I know. it's been so heart wrenching having to grow patient when all i want is for my prayer to be answered now.
i love my husband with all my heart and it pains me so much that he and i don't share a relationship with the Lord. don't get me wrong. my husband is a great guy and we have a good marriage, but i'd give anything to have him come to church with me and the kids, to see him worshiping besides me and praying with our children.  i met my husband in church, he attended church and grew up somewhat in the church because of his grandparents, then something in our story which is another post, probably a few other posts, hardened his heart and  it's been frozen for a while now. be it that he clings on to it as an excuse to not come back to Jesus, be it that He cannot accept being humble in repentance, whatever it is, he refuses to come back to where he first met the Lord.

i read so many blogs where the husband is a servant of the Lord and if i'm being honest, it makes me a little jealous.

then one day when i was feeling pretty bummed about this, i read a post on the importance of having a godly spouse. (unfortunately the blogger has deleted it) :(
 at first i passed it by because i didn't want the feeling of jealousy rearing its ugly head thinking it was going to go on and on about a godly man who prays with his wife,etc. you can say i was a little bitter that day. or maybe more than a little.though, later in the evening i clicked on it and that's when  God spoke the greatest truth to me: i am the godly spouse made to influence my husband.

i am being used in my marriage to show him the love of Jesus, His grace and mercy. i, even though it gets overwhelming sometimes, have to remember the fruits of the Lord: peace, gentleness, kindness and love and apply all these to my marriage. what good would it do for my husband if i attend church every weekend, lead worship, only to come home and be a bitter wife? absolutely nothing. i'm a work in progress. can't say i'm mother theresa and never raise my voice or get upset at things, but while my prayer is answered, i have the privilege to bring Jesus into my home everyday and inch the gospel closer to my husband's heart. i have realized i am one of the instruments that God can use to speak to my husband's heart about His undying love and forgiveness.

i have declared this year to be the year my husband comes to Jesus feet. i just know it. until then, i will wait patiently on God. now you know it.

i'm a believer, he's semi there. we're not your typical christian marriage and if your list of prayers still has room, i'd love it if you joined me in praying for his return.

 photo siggie_zpsf7137529.jpg

10 comments:

17 Perth said...

I am tearing up---this post is beautiful. I admire and appreciate your vulnerability and transparency. And I believe whole heartedly (like I think you do) that God uses everything. EVERYTHING. I was a mess..and in a nasty, gross and prideful place about two years ago. Slowly God began softening my heart..and I have no doubt that God is pursuing your husband and using you. I remember a good friend of mine one time told me--the best thing we can do for our husbands is pray for them and love them right where they are (spiritually and emotionally) and let God do the rest. He will do more than we can ever ask or imagine. I have seen it in my life and in my husband's life too. Praying for your husband to see all the love and acceptance and redeeming hope that our Heavenly Father offers. xo

Tanya said...

Thank you for sharing this part of your heart with the * blog- world*. I have a close friend who shares a similar struggle and whom I pray for often. I have watched her struggle and work through frustration. I know the walk can be difficult. Keep your eyes and heart focused and ears open to the Lords guidance. Today, I have said prayers for you and your husband. I know the Lord will work through you to work his way to your husbands heart. You are a blessing to him and one day his heart will open to the Lord. ~ Blessings.

Kayla Peveler said...

That last line you said gave me chills... of course my list of prayers has room. For you? Duh. I will be thinking of you, I know that can't be easy. Just remember you are the best witness he has :)

Anonymous said...

I too get jealous reading about others marriages! I think it's natural (though, not necessarily right) to feel wistful when others are thriving in an area that isn't easy in your life. Great post. Praying for you in this journey! You're a good woman :)

Katie Cook said...

Leah, this is absolutely beautiful. From your heart. I was so blessed to read your honesty, and I am praying for your husband now! God will so honor your faithfulness dear friend!!! love Katie

Amy said...

This is BEAUTIFUL Leah!! And I think it is SO important that you share your story and your marriage! I absolutely will be praying for your husband and for your family. I feel the same way you do about my family. They do not have hearts to live for Christ, and I have much peace knowing that God is pursuing their hearts each and every day, and I simply have to be willing to be used, and wait patiently! Love your heart :)

Sara said...

Oh Leah, I am so glad you posted this! You and your husband are being added to my prayer list. My brother is the same way as your husband, he believe in God but does not live for God. I appreciate your vulnerability in posting this, that took great courage from the Lord. Keep praying for him and I will too. I pray that this will be the year that he comes to know Christ.

With love,
Sara
http://sbengschayearoftransformation.blogspot.com/

Brittany Kyte said...

This is truly beautiful, Leah. I am not just typing this as a generic response, but I do vow to be praying for your husband and that God will soften his heart. It will happen, in Jesus name! It's just a matter of when. Love you in Christ, girl!

Discovery Street said...

That was a brave post to write...praying for you Leah!

Unknown said...

I was browsing about Christian singles dating and eventually marriage. I found your blog which is quite interesting. Thanks for sharing. God bless!! :D