feeling like a bad wife




i've been a lame wife. great way to start a post, huh? but i have and it's stinks when i have to realize i'm the one that's wrong. i really don't like being wrong.

i've bumped down my husband way to the bottom of the totem pole unintentionally and have left him there for the past couple of weeks, because his wheel hasn't been the loudest one squeaking. that's how the phrase goes right? anyway. he's not very expressive with his words. he will never sit down with me and say, 'honey, i'm feeling neglected.' so it makes it hard for me to realize when i am neglecting him.


i've placed other things higher in priority like the house, my art, the kids, everything else but him. yes, i said the kids too. but shouldn't the kids be a higher priority than a man?

i know many of you have seen where some women will go, first is God, second my husband, third the kids. i admit when i would read that, i would be appalled, offended almost that the kids would be placed last. growing up my mother made it very clear that kids came first after God. kids ate first, kids got loved on first. and so it became a commandment almost for my sisters and I to do the same. i know my mom's view stems from her father walking out on her and her siblings when they were very small, but if i begin to look at it from a biblical standpoint, the truth is my husband should come after God but before everything else, including the kids.

'wives submit to your husbands as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior.' Ephesians 5:22


We've all heard the saying 'happy wife, happy life,' but how selfish is it to only grasp on to that for ourselves as women. our men have feelings too, even if they don't express them like we do writing a mile long post on their blog or crying over half a gallon, okay, a gallon of ice cream.
when i love on my husband and make him feel important, he is better at being the head of the household. when i place effort in everything i do, including laundry, having a clean home for him to come home to, and a warm fresh meal, i show him he is extremely important in my life and that i appreciate everything he does. the result is him loving me and respecting me like Christ the church. (Ephesians 5:25), but more importantly when i place him as a priority, i serve him as Christ has instructed me to do. I minister to him the servitude of Christ and in even those tedious homemaking tasks, I glorify God.

'whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.' Colossians 3:23




These past few weeks I felt somewhat of a distance between us and today during a conversation between us, I realized I had been taking him for granted. Let's just say that this wife here, had a hot date with Mr. mop and Mrs. broom, brought along Lysol and scrubbed the heck out of the house. Got my booty into the kitchen and prepared a nice, warm meal for him to come home to.Then we made out. just kidding. i was ex.hausted! but I will need to be better at remembering this. i love my hubby to death!

till next time friends.






linking up with:


14 comments:

Shannon Q. said...

So far reading your blog I appreciate so much your honesty. Thank you that when you are less than perfect you figure out what went wrong and you share your insight. That's huge!

Leah said...

thank you Mariel, it took me a while. I wish sometimes men were more vocal! haha. but I have to be careful what i wish for!

Leah said...

Shannon you are such an encouragement to my heart. I kinda wonder if something is too personal or too honest, but I figure that if I write it, not only does it help me release some stress about it, but who knows? maybe someone else can be like: oh her too? that's what I love about blogging. you are such a sweetheart. thank you for reading friend!

Anonymous said...

I love the lesson you were able to pull from your experience. You have a gracious husband!

Leah said...

just a moment of kicking myself, but all good now. Thankfully the Lord gently points out our areas where improvement is needed and He provides the way to fix them. thank you sweet girl!

Leah said...

I sure do Funmi. I gotta admit, he's pretty patient with my craziness. haha.

Anonymous said...

"and then we made out. just kidding." LOL so funny :)
I have the same mindset sometimes, kids before husband. So hard to break that mindset (i came from a similar upbringing as your mom where my dad left) but it really is a gift to your children to cultivate your marriage - they can see and feel the stability they need and they get to see a great model for their future!

Leah said...

hehe. glad you get my humor girl! and yes! i agree, it's not to say my kids are going to be neglected in a corner while me and my husband eat a feast at the dinner table! could you imagine? but it is exactly that, i want to cultivate my marriage for them. so they can live in a strong united household where they can feel stable. so glad you get me.:)

Unknown said...

You know I really, truly needed that post. I forget my sweet husband too easily because he is such a reliable "wheel" and squeaking is just not a thing he does. Thank you.

Just stopping by from The Wiegand's, sweet Casey's blog, to personally invite you to join me for An Aloha Affair; a sort of end of week gathering and mingling and growing together. I'd love to have ya, stop by anytime...

xo,
Nicole
localsugarhawaii.com

Erin James said...

You are such a sweet wife, and so wise. Found your blog through the Local Sugar linkup, and now following you via GFC! :)

Excited to read more, I just love your heart.

XO
Erin

sweetnessitself.blogspot.com

Leah said...

awwww, glad it helped you in some way Nicole! men are like that, my husband has never been vocal either, just stores things up! gotta be more careful about neglecting him from now on. thank you for the invite!

Leah said...

Erin, you are the sweetest girl! thank you for your kind words.

Sarah P. said...

At least yo've realized it. I'm sure there are many husbands out there that wished their wives were considerate enough to realize they've been neglectful and then want to change. We're human :)

I've nominated you for a Liebster Award (I apologize if you've already been nominated before) over at my blog! http://craftymommaknits.blogspot.com/2012/11/what-lovely-surprise.html

Leah said...

thank you for your encouraging words girl. i loved that you stopped by.