and to whom be the glory?

 
 
Jimmy Needham said: the most dangerous place for a human heart is the stage.
 
i couldn't agree more.
the stage, the place where one is elevated already by the platform itself but where all eyes are on you. it could be nerve wrecking, and humbling and it actually is. it's a moment to share your gifts with others, but there's a really thin line leading to self pride when we forget that what we've been given are indeed gifts. gifts graciously given by God.
 
and in some ways it begins innocently. receiving that first compliment.
'you sing so pretty. you nailed that sermon. you speak so eloquently....
you're did so good.'
 
as a worship leader and speaker at my church, I'm going to be down right honest and tell you those compliments have made me feel good about myself, that I was capable and that I was doing something right. and before I knew it, I craved those words. if nothing was mentioned after the service I felt like I had failed, like I didn't deliver so to speak.
although I knew it, I failed to remember that I hadn't been chosen to receive any of the glory. All glory belongs to my God.

i am simply a messenger of the Lord.

And though it may be with the best intentions, we may forget to give God all the glory when we compliment someone as well on their ministry, focusing on how well they did instead of how beautiful God used them.
 
a thin line.
 
am I saying to never give a heartfelt encouraging word? Not at all.
however, we must always remember that our gifts were given by the Lord and therefore all glory belongs to Him. not an ounce of it belongs to us.
never glorifying the person because of how well they can write, or how well they can sing/speak/dance, you get the picture. admiring of course their talent, but never glorifying.
 
I'd go on a limb and say I'm not the only one who has struggled with this and still does at times.
because pride can be so sneaky and in a world where fame seems like everything, it can be so tempting to believe that whatever talents we possess are because of something we've done to deserve them, when the clear truth is we've done nothing to deserve the Lord wanting to use us for His glory alone.
it's a priviledge to be a servant, a messenger. never the one with the spotlight.
 
To Him be the glory forever and ever. :)
 
 
 

No comments: