on smiling at people + happy spring!

 photo tulips_zpsd5171b72.jpg
happy first day of spring and international day f happiness!
coincidence, i think not.

spring is such a happy time. birds chirping away, trees bursting into tiny blooms, more sunshine.
all great reasons to be happy and smile.

and i was thinking, people in general don't smile much. i sometimes will go a whole day without smiling more than a couple of times. and i guess it's because at times we have a lot on our plate, or a hundred things running through our mind.

the other day as i walked down to the cafeteria, i smiled at one girl passing by, and to my surprise she smiled back. then to the next guy, and he smiled back!
when i got back to my desk i had collected four smiles. and you know what? it felt good.
just the look on their face that a stranger was smiling was priceless. it's made me feel acknowledged when someone has smiled at me without even knowing me in passing.

smiling is good for the soul i think. since then, i've tried to smile at everyone that passes me by. some people are a little intimidating and my smile will kind of turned out into a crooked, kooky smile, which i guess that's the reason why they don't smile back. ha!
but either way, it's such a simple yet beautiful display of happiness.
and who can argue with happiness?

so today. will you make it a point to smile at people? even if you don't know them. just smile and see how many smiles we can collect.

5 comments:

Amy said...

Love this, and love you. Smiles are contagious, I'm certain of it.

Anonymous said...

i try to smile at people although i think the crooked kooky smile you were describing is normally how mine comes out. you never know when people need that tiny bit of kindness. i especially make a point to offer it up to the moms struggling with their kids in the stores too. people can be so impatient and rude about those things when they don't even know if the child is dealing with something. so i always try to give that understanding, i've been there smile. i like how you phrased it as collecting smiles :) it's a cute way to think about it!

Shannon Q. said...

This smiling thing has kinda become my "thing" for a while now! I love it!

Rachel Zimm said...

Thank goodness for spring!!
I love that you have made smiling a priority.
I would love to do the same!
Happy weekending!
www.floralandfudge.blogspot.com

Susannah said...

Awww... I like that - collecting smiles! :-)