lest i forget.



looking through photos of my children when they were smaller, always without fail, makes me teary eyed.
and the other day as we were looking through them, i paused a bit longer than usual to take in each detail. the way their baby teeth were still intact, their cheeks a little bit fuller and rosier, their pouty lips in some. all things that have gone away as they have gotten older. and although i will always have those photos to remember those details, i thought about the things that make them who they are, things they do that don't necessarily are photographed.

when they're grown, or as they get older, i want to remember the little things about them. even the things that frustrate me, sometimes. but that still make up who they are.

like the way my daughter always grabs an apple as a snack. eats it halfway, gets full and puts it back in the fridge, rather than throwing it away. sticks out like a sore eye when i open the fridge, but i guess she doesn't like wasting food.

or the way that no matter what day of the week it is, my littlest's shoes will always be scattered around the house. in different places, mind you. one in the living room, the other in the kitchen.
or the way he loves to keep up with his appearance. always wanting look 'handsome like dad.'

and the way my oldest finds it a trend to walk around the house with one sock on and the other God knows where. i've asked about it and his response is the sock bothers his foot. the other one, not so much.

or my daughter's little dimple when she smiles. she hadn't noticed it herself, until i pointed it out!

and how can i forget, how even at eleven, when he cries, my oldest has the most adorable pout. it melts me instantly.

i'm sure there are lots of other things that make them, them. and i'm on a mission to make note of it all, lest i forget when i'm older.

what little things of your loved one's do you love?

3 comments:

Shannon Q. said...

The apple thing is too cute! It's probably easier for me because I only have 1 child..but I started writing a journal to Jayden...recording things just like this...the real life stuff, the best stuff!

Discovery Street said...

maybe its the pregnancy hormones...but this totally made me teary eyed!

emi said...

so sweet! XOXO

the well-traveled wife ♥