be kind.



i'm not very good at staying on track with something, especially if it means doing it everyday and especially when life gets in the way. go figure right?

anyway, today i'm picking up with the thankful project this month.
today's prompt is something we were taught.
i thought long and hard about this one, as my parents were wonderful teachers and God has given me a share of lessons himself. but one that truly sticks out is to be kinder than necessary because everyone is fighting a battle of some sort.

lately with the economy the way its been, i've had customers call in who sound aggravated and mean at the beginning of the call which causes me to be defensive. many of those times i've realized that these people are going through such hard times, and they're in a desperate spot.
would i have known that at the beginning of the call? no.
would i have known at all if they hadn't told me? no.

a few months ago at work, a co worker lost his wife. this man is one of the friendliest in that place. always says hi to everyone and jokes around. the few weeks preceding his wive's death, i noticed a change in his attitude. although he was still friendly, he wasn't as talkative as before.
when she passed, the news of course were communicated and i was left in shock. never do we know the battle someone is dealing with.

whether it's a little one or a life long struggle, it's necessary to be kind. our kindness may be the only glimmer of light they may see on that day.

and although some days i may not wake up with birds singing outside my window and i may drag my feet all the way to the office, it's so important to remember that. one voice, one act of kindness may be what turns someone's day around.

what have you been taught that you are thankful for?

 
 
linking up:
 

5 comments:

Amy said...

Such a sweet post, and so much truth in others.

I'm thankful that my parents taught me to treat others the way I want to be treated. It's something so simple, those words almost carry little emphasis because we hear them so much. But it's SO true, and it's something I try and do every day.

Susannah said...

Yes! Kindness is so important and I think it's far too often overlooked!

17 Perth said...

Oh you are so right..I always try to remember that when someone is being snappy to me--instead of getting frustrated or mad--I try to remember that even though not right, they may be going through something hard. In those moments is when we can reveal His light. I love this reminder. Thank you!

The Olive Tree Blog said...

I really try to not take things for granted. I think there is a saying along the lines of ... people are praying for the exact things you have

The Olive Tree Blog said...

I really try to not take things for granted. I think there is a saying along the lines of ... people are praying for the exact things you have