an opportunity.



there are opportunities that come in as a door wide open and when you walk in, your life is changed forever.

you know of which i'm referring to?

i had never been an actual regular church attendee once we moved to austin. living with my parents i was there for every service, but once i got married that changed. i was only attending one service half heartedly and that wasn't every weekend.
and looking in hindsight, i love how the Lord used things to tug at my heart and say i wasn't living for Him. i was just merely attending to check church off my list.

the pastor had set up my dad as the director of education, or some fancy schmancy title like that. he was in charge of preparing a schedule for the classes from nursery to the youth group.
when my dad approached me with the idea of giving the youth group a class once a month, i hesitated a bit. one, because it meant having to attend the morning service. two, because i wasn't in a place spiritually where i could teach young people about God's word.

i accepted, truthfully because he's my dad and who likes to let their dad down?
but i'm so glad i did.

what was supposed to be a class once a month, turned into my class permanently and i fell in love. not only with the youth i was blessed to engage with, but with God's beautiful Word. the questions that emerged from that group about faith, God, the relationship He yearns from us and the answers as we studied, forever changed me and my relationship with the Lord.

every sabbath we discovered together so much Truth and the feeling of being able to influence young people while i myself was being submerged into His Word is priceless. there really are no words to describe it.
from that opportunity that God opened the door for, i grew a passion for young people.
my heart is in mentoring and listening to them. and hanging out with them too because i mean come on, it makes me feel a little younger!
but in all seriousness, sharing the Word to ears that are exposed to this generation's standards is where my heart lies.
currently, in our church plant the children there are not of youth age, but i'm just waiting anxiously when God begins opening another door for a whole new group of youth that prayerfully i'll be able to explore the Word with.

what opportunity are you thankful for?

linkging up:

4 comments:

Discovery Street said...

I think when we volunteer we truly discover what some of our giftings are (or aren't). Those kids are better people for you being in their lives!

17 Perth said...

Absolutely love this---love the situations where you go to give and they opportunity itself actually gives back tenfold. That is how Jesus works isn't it? So awesome Leah--No doubt those kiddos were blessed by you.

kcook said...

I loved reading this Leah! I'm so glad you stepped through this door! God is using you in powerful ways:) You have such a beautiful and honest spirit!! Much love, Katie

The Olive Tree Blog said...

oh i love this. i teach sunday school as a way to serve and to help out...but i tell you every time i serve my monthly class...i leave feeling so blessed.