digging wells.



via tumblr.

Sometimes i wonder how much 'heart' is okay to share on this little space and hesitate at times writing what's on my heart out of fear of dissappointing or sounding too deep. As I continue to read some of my favorite blogs, I realize that my thoughts are pure silliness because speaking from the heart is what we all want. So I will share my heart once again today.

My life is going through a different season. A season of questions and a prayer that is being pressed more and more on my heart as the days go by. It tugs at it, makes me wonder, and makes me cry hard at times.
However, time and time again, I am convinced that I am not alone. I am not alone not even for a second. And I am encouraged by my Father to keep going as His promises never fail.

This weekend I received that message. You remember Isaac, yes? Kid about to be sacrificed by Abraham, his dad, in obedience to the Lord and saved by the Lord at the last minute?
Well that Isaac grows up and is a man after God. Walks in His paths, and by His will.
God blesses him to the point that for every one seed he sows, he reaps a hundred times more. The surrounding Phillistines become jealous and their king Abimelech kicks him out of their land. Isaac doesn't put up a fight. He just simply moves.
Reaching the Valley of Gerar, he sets up his tent and digs a well for he and his flocks need water. It is a well with fresh running water, a blessing for sure. However, the people dwelling there as well, claim the water to be theirs even though they didn't dig the well themselves. Isaac doesn't fight, just moves and digs another one and the same thing happens. Someone else quarrels over it again. At this point  I think I would be taking off my earrings and having someone hold my purse, but he rather than fighting, he moves away.
The third spot he comes to, he digs a well and finds running water as well. This time though, nobody quarrels with him. He is at peace, he is able to set up tent and live peacefully in his space. He names this well Rehoboth, meaning a place of enlargement and flourishing. He then goes up to Beersheba and builds an altar for the Lord where He appears to Isaac and says:

'I am the God of your father Abraham. Do not be afraid for I am with you; I will bless you and increase the number of your descendants for the sake of my servant Abraham.'

Not only do his enemies leave him alone, but King Abimelech (king of the Phillistines) comes to him and swears an agreement with Isaac for they have seen that the Lord is with him. The same man that rejected him, that ordered him away from their land, now is in alliance with Isaac.

We too are going to encounter seasons where it seems everything and everyone is against us. Where every well we dig seems to be quarreled about and things seem to be going nowhere, or just simply staying the same.
Seasons where your prayers seem to go unanswered and the enemy is winning the battle. Do not give up. Keep digging your wells. If it is to honor the Lord, keep digging, no matter if the outcome looks bleak. In due time, the Lord will bring you to a place where everything is at peace. In His perfect timing He will give you your space and allow blessings to flourish. Don't give in to the taunts of others, the one telling you that you are wasting your time.
The enemy will use everything in His power to diminish your faith, to have you throw in the towel but we must keep digging our wells, because we are not alone. We have the Father on our side and Jesus is praying for our faith to not falter.

'and i have prayed for you Simon, that your faith may not fail. and when you turn back strenghten your brothers.' luke 22:32

I wish I could tell you that my heart will not be burdened from this moment on, that i will not sadden, but that would be a lie. However, I can tell you friends that the Lord has given my heart a big long bear hug, and I will cling onto His promises even in the darkest night. I will keep digging my wells until I come to my own Rehoboth. And you know something? I think I'm near, because my God is faithful. Things have already begun turning around.


ps. hope you have a beautiful valentine's day with your loved ones. my oldest son bought his very first 'special' valentine's for a little girl. yes mommy is freaking out. haha.




4 comments:

Marci Smith said...

I completely understand the season you are in. There are times all my heart can do is cry and cry out to God. The loneliness and turmoil threaten to overtake me. However, I am grateful that during theses times our Father is right next to us giving us our every breath. He sees you hanging onto Him. He knows your obedience and is looking at you with a full heart of love. Your Jesus is holding your hand and loving all over you during your season.

Kara Renee said...

I'm just coming out of a season like this. Seriously, without the help of God, I don't know what I would've done. Praying for you this week, Leah. :)

Katie Cook said...

Well said Leah. I can remember many season like this, and it feels so dark and lonely. But thankfully they are season and Jesus takes us through and is faithful! happy valentines day girl!

helen said...

i love that you share your heart, and how much your heart is sold for Christ. even in this season, i see you cling to God and his promises. i am praying for you <3