a gorgeous spirit.

taken at f21.

as a girl,  i swoon easily over shimmer, frills, pearls,  and dare i say it... pink. the right shade of course.
i like to feel pretty. i like to be feminine in every way possible. 
however, i've carried a struggle within me for a while when it comes to beauty. 
it's the thin line that leads to defining self worth.
how much is too much focus on the outer appearance before it becomes the most important thing for a woman?
before it defines your happiness or who you really are?

it seems that among women, we compete secretly on who's the prettiest, classiest, the most fashionable, or who has the best hair. 
chunks of money is spent on the best make up, the trendiest clothing, lotions to do away with those fine lines that attribute to life experiences. 
now I'm not saying there is anything wrong in doing so. a woman has the right to want to feel and look good. what i am saying though, or asking is where do we draw the line of it taking over our worth?

'charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.' proverbs 31:30

' and let your adornment be merely external - braiding the hair, and wearing gold jewelery, or putting on dresses; but let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the imperishable quality of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is precious in the sight of the Lord.' 1 peter 3:3-5

growing up i recall feeling ugly at times and not interesting enough, because i wore boring clothing from  nameless department stores, rather than the popular Abercrombie & Fitch in those days.
today it's not that much different among young girls. i've begun to see it in my daughter as she spends time in the mirror playing with my make-up and asking when she can dye her hair.

media does a splendid job in advising girls that it is all in the glitz and glamour. bigger eyelashes, perfect hair, plumper lips is what makes you better and prettier than the rest. but more times than not, the ones most beautiful on the outside, are the ones that carry a tattered spirit inside. it's truly a sad thing.

it's so important that we as women remember that who we are and what we are worth is not dependent on the outer appearance. it does not matter if my hair is perfect (which is not), or if i'm able to afford the latest trends, if my spirit wears tattered clothes. 

 i want my little girl growing up knowing that. i want her to know that her beauty comes from within, that her worth is far more than labels, or mascara.
 and even when the lashes come off and her hair is undone, that her beauty can still radiate and make her a gorgeous human being. 

don't ever feel like you are less or not pretty enough, because in your Creator's eyes, you are far more than rubies or gold.
physical beauty fades, but a gorgeous spirit does not.
go and live beautifully.




linking this post to:

Monday Meet Up
















6 comments:

reeree7 said...

I just want you to know that your post really touched me. I literally started crying lol. But for real, body image is something I mentally battle and I can say (unfortunately) has defined my own self worth. Your post was so beautiful and really encouraged me to start looking at myself in a different way. Thank you so much!

Rachel Zimm said...

Amen! what an important post, thank you!
floralandfudge

Marci Smith said...

Beautifully written! As mamas we have to let our children know that worth comes from Jesus alone. It's fun to play dress up, even as big girls, but we can't let it define us. I struggle with the comparison game....uuugg!

Thanks for writing this. Xoxo

Leah said...

oh no!i'm sorry it made you cry. :( but if they were somewhat happy tears to realize that you are so beautiful because you are YOU, then it's okay. I'm glad it encouraged you to look at yourself differently. You were created with so much more worth than anything in this world could ever describe! you are a KING'S daughter! xo.

Leah said...

thank you for reading Rachel and your encouragement!

Leah said...

thank you Marci. yes I love to play dress up with my girl, and I love to dress up on date nights, but it's so easy for us women to compare ourselves to others. I admit that I do it from time to time, and it NEVER makes me feel good about myself. I need to focus on me and who I was made to be. You're beautiful momma, never doubt that!