bully.


when the school's phone number appears on my cell screen, it hardly ever means a good thing.
on the other end of the line, the nurse told me hesitantly that my child had been choked.
yeah. my mouth dropped open.
my son was okay.

during P.E (jeez, how i disliked that class!), as they were putting away the balls they had used, my son and his friend were standing together when another student threw a ball at my son's friend's head. (still with me?) hard.

my son decided to speak up as it is not the first time apparently that his friend and other kids get bullied, and because of that the bully pinned him against the wall by his neck. these are fifth graders by the way. fifth graders!!
my son shoved his hand away and the gym teacher having seen this, took the bully to the Principal's office.

later at home discussing the incident, J (my son) mentioned that that kid and one other are constantly bullying him verbally and although he's learned to ignore them, it angers him. 'mom, i don't want to go to school tomorrow. i'm scared they are going to do something to me.'

this morning we prayed together and explained to him that God was on his side and prayed that God would give him courage to stand up for himself in the best of ways.
i'm sitting here just heartbroken that these kids have come to behave this way at this age. heartbroken, because i know that this behavior in bullies comes from emotions that have built up over the years of hurt, anger, or being ignored. it's sad.

















if you're a parent, tell your child constantly how much they are loved, that they are important and have a purpose. remind them constantly, because sadly the voices from their peers sometimes are the ones that are the loudest for them. and pray for those that need that love. pray that those kids that are out looking for attention in the worst of ways can know that they are kind, smart, and important.






17 comments:

Rachel Zimm said...

oh my goodness, that is horrible :( I am glad that he has a wonderful mother who will pray with him and for him. I'm saying a little prayer for him that today will be better!
floralandfudge

Anonymous said...

What a sweet boy your son is sticking up for his friend. Praying his strong witness speaks volumes to those around him and that he would find strength in His Lord!
Praying for you to mama.. it is so hard to watch our kids go through difficult things!

Leah said...

thank you Rachel. that means so much! i pray too that today will be better.

Leah said...

it is difficult. as his mom, i wish i could just walk those hallways with him protecting him, but I know that God will care for him better than i can. 'praying his strong witness speaks volumes' - i love those words. thank you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh that is AWFUL I'm so sorry you guys have to go through that :( breaks my heart - i will definitely pray for him too. I hate that kids bully each other. It seems they are getting younger and younger.

Kayla Peveler said...

This makes me so sad for your little guy. But yes, he does have God on his side. Doesn't always make it easier in the moment, but I'll be praying for your son! :)

Anonymous said...

I pray for the 'bully' that He gets to know God. I pray that his parents will have an encounter with God if they don't already and that God will show them their son's behavior and give them the wisdom it will take to lead him on the right path.

Leah said...

it is heartbreaking, and thank you for praying too Christine. i was truly shocked to see this kind of behavior in someone that little.

Leah said...

you know he asked me why if God was on his side, why it happened. that was a tough one to answer, but thankfully today was much better for him. thank you so much for your prayers!

Leah said...

yes Funmi, that little boy needs prayer that his heart may come to know the Lord and His kindness. no child should have to struggle with emotions that lead them to bully others. thank you for your prayers friend.

funsizetessa said...

:( makes me sad. I hope he had a better day and continues to.

Kristin said...

Oh my goodness how this makes me angry...why do kids have to be so mean?? Praying for protection over him as he goes each day!!

Leah said...

neither do i jillian, it's crazy! thank you so much for your prayers, they really mean a lot.

Leah said...

he did have a better day which made me a happy momma. thank you sweetie!

Leah said...

i was talking to a co-worker the other day and she was telling me about what her daughter is going through at school because of her hair color. can you believe that? man the days we live in are just ridiculous sometimes, but really all of that character stems from what they see at home, i believe. thank you so much for your prayers kristin!

Maria said...

I CAN NOT even imagine. My mamma bear in me would have killed someone. Kids can be so cruel these days, and you just have to feel bad for those kids with no guidance. Sending positive thoughts to you and your little man.

Leah said...

my blood did boil, i'll admit. i was so mad, but sad at the same time that kids can be this cruel and because like you said, they have no guidance. thank you for your thoughts. they are extremely appreciated. xo