Sweet Motherhood: Ruthy Taylor

 
i gotta say, this motherhood series has been blessing me tons. i've loved reading about all of these mothers and their take on motherhood, and today i have the pleasure of introducing ruthy from discovery street. ruthy is such a sweet mom and i have loved getting to connect with her and reading her blog, in which she shares life with her husband and little one, parker penny. don't you just love that name?
and she lives in the PNW which gives her extra cool points, since i love that place of the country!
here's what ruthy shared with us:
 
 
 
 photo ruthy_zps8e80621d.jpg



ruthy, tell us a little bit of your story and who you are a mom to?

I'm Ruthy, mama to my 20 month old daughter Parker Penny and due with another girl this summer. I became a mother a little later in life, I had my daughter when I was 34. Becoming a mom was never a lifelong dream, I wasn't sure if I actually wanted kids. Those who know me well think it's crazy I'm pregnant with my second!

motherhood isn't always what we expect, what about motherhood surprised you or has been different than what you expected it to be?

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed motherhood in the beginning. I read all the horror stories and was mentally prepared to go to battle so to speak. Although my daughter was born with hip dysplasia which made the first few months exceptionally challenging and emotional, I was enamored with motherhood. The toddler stage however, yeah, well I'm not so enamored with this stage. It's a daily struggle!




 being a mom is hard work, isn't it? but always rewarding. what do you enjoy most about motherhood?

 


Honestly, it's so freaking hard. But I think God renews my spirit every time I see my daughter delight in something. Whether it's bubbles, an animal at the zoo, throwing rocks, or seeing her daddy walk through the door in the evening. Her shrieks of joy and laughter kinda make up for the tantrum and tears. 

 
 let's talk balance. how do you find balance in tending to your daughter and also caring for yourself emotionally and physically?
 
 Is there such a thing? I've let go of the concept. I don't think balance exists. I think there are seasons of life that are rough and seasons of life that are renewing. I'm just grateful every morning is a fresh start.
 
 as moms we strive to teach and show our children lessons shaping them as they grow, however, what is the one thing that you would want your children to grab on to and never forget?
 
 Confidence. Self doubt looms over women and prevents them from so much. I want my girls to grow up confident in who they are, which in turn will lead them to be courageous and have a voice for those less confident. I want them to stand up for what is right, speak up for themselves and for others. I desire for them to know they are daughters of the MOST HIGH KING...how can they not draw confidence and courage knowing that? 

 

 
ruthy, mothers need encouragement always. what words of wisdom or encouragement would you offer to other moms?

 
 
Motherhood comes in all shapes and sizes. We have to stop comparing and start embracing each other and where we are at. I quit my career to be a stay at home mom and I loved it for about a year. But I've come to the realization that I'm not really wired to be a stay at home mom. At first I felt guilty about these feelings, but the fact is I'm gifted with talents and abilities outside of the home. With another baby on the way I won't be going back to work right away, but I'm pretty sure I won't be a stay at home mom for long. And that's ok. We have to stop judging each other and start encouraging the choices mom's make that is best for their families. 
 

...............























 



 ruthy, you're speaking to my heart girl. motherhood is so hard, and balance can be so difficult to find! though, thankfully we can run to God to renew our spirit, like you said.

you can find ruthy at her blog or following her on instagram too! @discoverystreet.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hi there! I'm Heather and I was wondering if you would be willing to answer a quick question I have about your blog! Please email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com :-)

Lindsay / Life By Lindsay said...

So great Ruthy!!! Love the words of encouragement! Comparison is just about the WORST thing we can do as mothers!!!

Thanks for sharing your story of being a mom - you are a GREAT one!!!

What a great series - Happy Mothers Day!!!