viernes - our neglected child.

 

 

back in the 1800's when my husband and i started dating, we exchanged the flowers, yes i gave him flowers at one time, the letters, little gifts here and there and became parents to a stuffed fur baby from none other than toys r us.

i can't even remember why we were at toys r us. we were twenty years old, so why we were there is beyond me.
anyway, i was always a sucker for oversized stuffed toys, but the stuffed bear was so cliche, so overrated, so when we saw him, i knew i wanted him.

we didn't get it right then, as my guy wasn't making the millions he makes now, and just asked me to wait. ;).

however, that next friday, lo and behold in the back of his car was my stuffed fur baby with a pretty red bow on his head.
we named him viernes, which is friday in spanish. we dubbed him our first child.

that was almost fourteen years ago. can you believe that?

he's gone through four moves with us, one three hours away from houston to austin. he's been neglected due to the birth of three real kiddos. mangled by a real fur baby which sadly is no longer with us. thrown in the bottom of the toy boxes to be forgotten, used as cushions by the kids and as a pillow by the husband when he knocks out on the couch, and has received no love from his mama in forever.
poor viernes.

recently my husband looked at it and asked if that was 'our viernes.' he couldn't believe how terrible he looked. i mean it has been fourteen years honey!
so he gave viernes a real needed bath with fabric softener and everything. and now viernes sleeps in our bed. our long lost baby is being loved again! lol.


i joked with my husband that we could just pass this baby down to the kids, and that ensued an eye roll. but i think it would be kind of cute! no? okay, then.


6 comments:

Susannah said...

What special memories that stuffed animal holds. :-) I'm glad that your hubby saved his life. ;-)

Unknown said...

I love this. So cute. It speaks about God's grace and many blessings. Viernes is that symbol. Yasser would roll he's eyes too! They don't get it!

Unknown said...

I love this. So cute. It speaks about God's grace and many blessings. Viernes is that symbol. Yasser would roll he's eyes too! They don't get it!

17 Perth said...

Haha! So funny!! Love that he gave it a well deserved bath! :)

The Olive Tree Blog said...

keep him! he is so cute. I still have my childhood bunny...she lives in my closet...she has seen better days!

Unknown said...

Aw, I think it's sweet!