my niche is Jesus.




oh my goodness yall, my heart was so happy yesterday.
it was such the perfect fall weather, and i have a feeling it's going to stick around now. yay!

alright, now that i shared my piece of happy news, time to get this post started. 

i'm nearing the one year anniversary of when i began to seriously, seriously blog. it's funny when i began to blog, i had truly no clue what to do. as i think the majority of us don't. although i'm still in the dark about many areas of blogging.  but  the one thing I had set in my mind on was not to be the 'too serious, too deep, too christian' blogger.

my goal was to be likable. and get big numbers aka followers.
being a debbie downer and writing on heavy stuff was not what people wanted to read.
my niche although i didn't really know what it was, it needed to be fun.
my identity from the get go was being decided upon the expectations my future readers had of me. You know because for a minute there I hit my head thinking I was some famous person and readers were waiting on the edge of their seats for my first post. riiiight.

boy, has my vision for this blog changed.

those 'debbie downer' posts that tell of my story, and of what Jesus is doing in me that I feared to write, have been the most freeing. they've allowed me to be real, transparent and although it's scary because you don't want anyone reading along while doing some eye rolling, writing those posts have been such an encouragement to my heart.
instead of making me feel down, they've uplifted me. they've sparked a passion in me.

i can write about the joys and woes of motherhood, marriage and being a woman knowing that someone out there will be able to relate as well.

the followers i was striving to obtain for the sake of having high numbers, many have become such sweet encouragers and sisters in christ whose posts also uplift me, and motivate me in my walk.
the word followers actually irks me. a community is what i have actually found.
a group of women that love to encourage, support and are truly genuine about it.
you don't find that very often in social media.
what a relief that has been for a girl jumping in to blog with expectations of high hopes of 'fitting in.'

and while i'm still just a year old blog, and hardly know the whole scheme of technicalities, numbers, monetizing, and whatever else comes with it, the one thing i do know is that my idea of who i am, in this blog gig, has changed.

not only am i a mother, a wife, a woman struggling with insecurities at times, and a blogger.

but i am a christian, Jesus passionate, community seeking girl who wishes to shout out and share what God is doing in my life.

for a girl that wanted to put 'too much christianity' on the back burner, that plan has backfired.
because in hindsight this part of me has never really been about me, but about Him.

so if i would have to choose a niche. it would be Jesus.
motherhood, marriage, lifestyle topics all fall freely on paper because my center, my identity comes from Him.

so here's to another year of blogging, should that be where the Lord wants me to be.
let's keep on blogging!

what is your favorite topic to write about?

xoxo leah

 

4 comments:

Jessica J-Marie said...

I can relate with what you've shared. I created my blog about a year ago & still haven't found a "niche" Like you, I didn't want to write the heavier posts so I tried to keep them light, but felt as though my words were empty. If that makes any sense! My best posts have been written through bursts of tears & an aching heart. I wish I could always write like that!

Susannah said...

This is so fabulous, dear girl!!! Jesus is definitely my niche too! :-)

Hannah Terpstra said...

yay! this post really spoke to my heart! I have had so so many of these exact thoughts pass through my mind, and have come out of it very much the same as you. I may write about this and that but the depths of my heart long to let Jesus pour out and for people to see Him!

The Olive Tree Blog said...

family, jesus, kids, crafts, food, oh wait...that is pretty my everything.lol. my blog is all over the place haha.