Shutting it off.

My husband dropped a bombshell on our kids.
No warning, just completely cold turkey.

We shut off the cable.

Now, I know what some of you may be thinking: You shouldn't even have cable to begin with.
We felt it was okay to have, because one: my husband watches a lot of sports on TV, and some of the shows I enjoy watching are on cable as well. Second: the kids' TV has always been blocked from any other channel than the cartoon channels. Pretty much anything considered for adult or teenage audiences were blocked as well...until the cartoons began swerving in that direction. pretty upset about that. whatever happened to the Backyardigans, Molly on the Comfty Couch, and Lambchop!? Now those were kids' shows.
So he shut if off.
In his words: 'they need to stop being brainwashed by cartoons and get out to play, be kids, and get dirty.'

Well, I gotta say I was pretty nervous to deliver the news. Surprisingly, the reaction was to play a board game instead.

a board game!!! from my oldest too!

my very cool looking dinosaur


no one wants to land in the enchanted forest.
our game pieces

Well since the last board game we bought, was not taken care of and God knows where the cards and pieces are, we made our own in less than thirty minutes. Surprisingly, they enjoyed it quite a bit. 
Quoting them 'that was so much fun mom!'

Whoa, that made my heart do a little dance. I see lots of craft time in my near future, so Michael's 40% coupon, I'm coming to get ya.











5 comments:

Sarah Marie said...

Totally a good idea, I'm not sure I am or ever will be brave enough to do it, but yay for you!!!

henning love said...

good for you two! what mom and dad say must go and there are plenty of activities that are non-TV related plus i think it will make you closer as a family

Hannah R. said...

I told my husband the other day that we should cut our cable off. We watch WAY too much tv. He isn't for it at all, but I think we are slowly cutting back some. Good for y'all though! :)

noone said...

ohhh that's hard for a while, i remember when I first got rid of my TV... but then I coped with it after a month and now I barely watch it!

Rachael said...

I've never seen anything other than my few free to air channels, although we {me and my siblings} always made the most of Disney channel when we were on holidays at a resort ;) which only happended twice i think! lol...
anyway, I love the game! what a great idea! it's one of my favourites with kiddos in my classroom, they always come up with the greatest ideas!
blessings to the best mamma with no cable tv this week!