welcoming october intentionally



hello october. 

ideally now the temperatures should be at the low sixties, the leaves should be an array of deep purples, oranges and yellows gracing the trees, and people should be donning chunky sweaters and tights. 
yet at 87 degrees, we texans are still stepping out in shorts and open toed shoes. texas must you be so cruel to me?
despite the weather not being fallish, this time of year calls for slowing down and reflecting. 
i've seen a few posts on this and i carry the same sentiment. sort of. 
at least on the reflecting part. 

there has been a stirring inside me for a few weeks now to act. 
i'm an idea collector. ask my husband and my sisters. every week, i have something new that i come up with. a project, a party, a get together.
but hardly ever do i follow through. in my head the details, the design all seems attractive, but the purpose, the true inner purpose of that idea is what i lack to see clearly. because honestly, and here's where i get a little ugly....

i begin to believe it's about what i can do, and about what i can bring. it becomes or i make it become about me.
 
the idea has always fallen to the ground because i've managed to somehow revolve it around me.
during this season instead of slowing down and reflecting, i'm being called to create and act while reflecting. 
it seems a bit contradictory, but if i reflect on the true purpose of why i'm acting, i can act intentionally all the while. 

there's passions and dreams placed on my heart that all point back to Him. so with that piece of truth alone, i will act. tired of just talking about it. prayerfully reflecting on the true purpose of it all. that's how i'm welcoming october and this new season. 
the 'from scratch' series (i have a way with coming up with titles for things, i know.) is one of those things. it gets me excited to create, to see the gift God's given us to make something out of relatively nothing at my fingertips. 
i'm excited to share more about the dreams that are being awakened in me with you guys in the coming weeks. 

what are some ways you are welcoming october?


 

3 comments:

Amy said...

I have the same problem - lots of ideas, few follow throughs.
here's to hoping that this season helps you to reflect and accomplish at the same time! :)
Happy October!

Discovery Street said...

I would love to still be in shorts and flip flops! :) i swirl a lot of ideas too...I find i'm often just so overwhelmed with stuff it's hard to actually get things going!

The Olive Tree Blog said...

i like you love ideas and dreaming. i would gladly execute all of them if i had an unlimited supply of resources...and a money tree :)