motherhood is a...


sometimes you need a vacay from a vacay.
i mean the packing, the driving, the having fun, the family time spending. it drains you, especially if you have three children to haul around with you. i mean that in the most endearing way of course. if you know me somewhat, you knew that though.
part of this weekend, was spending time with my darling sister at her home for two days. my husband went out of town and i chose to crash my sister's house with the three kiddos to spend time with my niece and nephew whom they always have a blast with, minus the thousand disagreements over who gets the superman costume and who gets to use thor's, god of thunder's hammer. in the end you see two supermen swinging outside and it's all good.
but this weekend, in the midst of getting everything ready for a birthday party the next day, trying to get a one year old to nap while three loud boys ran around, an eight year old girl who had a meltdown about almost every little thing, we realized motherhood is a tough job, i mean pretty tough.

sometimes it doesn't feel like the greatest thing in the planet when you're running dry out of energy and patience, although it is.
but man, when the tough gets going and these kids test your patience like a chocoholic at wonka's chocolate factory, it makes you wanna run and hide in the nearest closet for at least five minutes, heck, ten minutes to yourself.

earlier that day at church the rabbi reminded us to never give up in doing the good job. never giving up because of our selfish desires, focused on us alone


never growing weary of doing good, for at the proper time reaping harvest if we don't give up. 
gal 6:9

yet i didn't see the rabbi's words applying to this area of my life until later that night, and more as i type now.

some days i grow weary of the discipline aspect, i admit. some days i grow weary of taking the time to actually sit down and talk instead of yell out. i grow weary of explaining the why and grumble the because i said so, i grow weary of doing parenting the 'right way' every day... because it's harder, more time consuming, takes more energy out of me.

should i not show consistency in doing good, with fairness for one as the other, pouring out grace as the Lord gives me, i may be endangering my calling as a mother. endangering that it doesn't hold up well together with love.

rather, in never growing weary of doing good in my home as a mother and lifting it always in prayer, i will at the proper time with God's grace and will, see a harvest reaping with children that will grow up, never growing weary of doing good in their lives as well modeled by the Lord. that is my greatest desire for them.

yes, motherhood is a tough job and superpowers might be required from time to time, but even in the worst of days, motherhood is a blessing given by the most compassionate Father of all, allowing us as mothers to grow, to teach, to care for, and learn from.

what part of motherhood do you tend to struggle with the most?


 

ps. if you don't know yet, this thursday amy and i will be hosting a link up on worship.
we look forward to reading your posts!

linking up here:




2 comments:

Amy Cornwell said...

I struggle with patience...when the kids are fighting or disobeying or doing whatever it's hard for me not to just get mad at them. The other day instead of letting my frustration get the best of me I took my child who was mean to his sister and looked him in the face, held his cheeks in my hands and told him that he was a sweet boy, and that he needed to continue to be that sweet boy to his sister. He started to tear up and couldn't look me in the eye but it reminded me that sometimes my raising my voice doesn't make the most impact on my children! (sorry that was long!)

Leah said...

I hear ya Amy. patience is not my virtue, and not only with the kids, but generally. in the past I've let it get tge best of me, and I always regretted it. your approach was so sweet and I'm sure he'll remember that.