slow down love.

 
saturday morning, i was given a wake up call of sorts.
it started off rough, mainly with my boys. and not to beat a dead horse since i wrote a little about it yesterday. but there in front of my eyes, stood no longer a couple of toddlers that could be tickled back into a good mood, but boys who are growing rapidly and with a temper that i haven't seen before. especially my eleven year old. i can't believe i just typed that. he's eleven. going into middle school next year. and i'm freaking out.

just basically because today's generation no longer focuses on what life should be about. i see fifth graders with iphones, back talking to their parents, dating. yes dating. which i think leads to an unsatisfying way of life from growing up too fast. instead of enjoying their childhood laughing, running outside, playing hopscotch, and enjoying time with their parents.

it's cray. yes i did just type cray because it really is that crazy to me.
you know one can tell me i just need to adjust and go with it, and i may be wrong, but in this get it now, do it now type of world, i desperately want to just slow things down.

i want to hit the brakes without second thinking, get out of the car, and take in the sun, the air, the grass, the smell of fresh air. and i want my kids to do so as well.

i know i've been partly to blame, well a lot to blame for this type of outlook in them. i mean kids only do as parents do. and saturday i realized once i made a determination to take in the sweet moments instead of focusing on the sour morning, that there is  A LOT of deliciousness in life to enjoy when we slow down.
the giggles, the funny faces, the serendipity of how things work sometimes, the love that surrounds us all.
i've been one to want to tackle many things in a 24 hour window and being upset at not being able too finish my list or get upset at when things don't go my way. wanting everything now. like if the world owes me something.
....they...have started acting the same.

i had to sit down and look at my priorities and some things are going to need to be placed somewhere towards the bottom, some will need to go altogether.

this blog, this little space that i couldn't do without, will just be given less attention. i just can't give it up completely. it inspires me, encourages me. but i foresee myself not posting as often, possibly not posts this long.
 i foresee more photos. capturing those moments that i would otherwise miss. and i guess that will be okay, since a photo can tell a story in itself, no?

now that my kids are out of school, i want to enjoy the afternoons actually enjoying life. i want us all to slow down and enjoy what life is really all about.
so for now, that's where my heart is at. and i think it's a pretty good season to be in. off to enjoy life's moments now.


what are your favorite moments of life?

  1.  photo siggie_zpsf7137529.jpg

12 comments:

17 Perth said...

Girl...Yes. Enjoy every moment. And I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't even have kids, and right now, I kind of feel the same way. Hope you had a great afternoon!

Unknown said...

Definitely needed! I know exactly what you went through on slowing down and going through your priorities. It's funny how we think certain things are priorities but when in the grand scheme of things, they're not as important as we think.

Thanks for sharing, Leah!

kyna... said...

Even as I sit here telling myself I need to blog more (because it really is fun...and therapeutic all at the same time), I know that I probably won't. Because blogging, and computer time pulls me away from my family. And you are absolutely right....your kids do as they see their parents doing. Ellie would be ecstatic to just sit in front of the computer or ipad to play games all day...and unfortunately, she learned that habit from us. I want to go outside and enjoy the sun, ride bikes, watch the waves, have picnics. And I can't do any of that with a computer in front of me...so while I will try, I'm sure I'll be absent around here as well!!
But hon, I'll see you on IG!! lol!
♥ Kyna

Abigail Jasmine said...

Love these thoughts! Great reminders...

henning love said...

yup enjoy your kids more this summer focus less on your blog because in the end they are what matter the most and they will appreciate you more for putting down the computer and playing with them rather than writing a post :-) we all understand whether we have kids or not

kristyn said...

i completely agree. it is so hard to stay present, and it's even harder for children when the influences around them set a social standard. but stepping back and enjoying those little moments are so important. i hope you guys are able to refocus and refresh this summer :)

The Olive Tree Blog said...

i think the world needs more mama like you ... !! seriously our children are losing their innocence so young!

Anonymous said...

good for you! you really are right about what a fast paced world/culture we are a part of. i highly recommend the book almost amish {if you ever have a spare moment to read :)}. so good. really gets you to think outside of the crazy little box society makes us think we have to be in!

Amy said...

This is so darn sweet :) I hope you enjoy all of your moments with your kids! I can't wait to see the pictures!

Unknown said...

soak it up, girl! i hope you capture the sweetest moments in life with your family! be blessed, friend :-)

TheRealNovelate.com said...

i hope that you've been having a lovely summer with the little ones! i kind of disappeared from the blogging world for a little while but i am back. i miss reading your blog and am glad to have found it once again :)

helen said...

oh, thank you for this heartfelt post! i hope you spend tons of quality time with your sweet family this summer. <3