the chores handbook {kids edition}


no really. you might be thinking, heck chores don't make me happy, how could they make my kids happy?
but they do, they just don't know it yet. 
it's kind of the 'it's for your own good' gist they scowl at now but will thank you for later. 
however, while you wait for the beautiful handwritten thank you note on a mother's day when they've had children of their own and finally get it, i'll tell you why chores are super beneficial to kids.
welcome to my own little handbook.
BOOSTS THEIR SELF ESTEEM

answer me this, when you've had a really good productive day. do you feel defeated or accomplished? and what does that do to your attitude?
it does the same for them. (by the way i hope your answer was it makes you feel accomplished, otherwise skip this point.)
they feel like they were able to contribute something towards their home, and helps them feel productive. that makes anyone feel good about themselves. i'd do anything to have my kids feel that way, so the chores will keep adding up! :)

 MAKES THEM RESPONSIBLE

yes, I know that's a boring word. we'd rather be fun. but responsibility reaps benefits. go to work get paid and go shopping. see?
we want our kids to be responsible with their homework, with their actions. starting at home knowing they have tasks expected from them, gives them the expectation life is pretty much the same.
CREATES EAGERNESS TO HELP
since we started assigning chores to the kids, they will ask randomly if there's anything to do to help. some more than others. my oldest hasn't hit that mark yet, but he will, i want to believe.
case in point. it was not a day for chores, and my daughter out of the blue, pulled a chair up to the sink and started washing the dishes!
this past sunday, they went out and helped their daddy clean out the garage. loved seeing their little faces coming in for water and promptly going back outside to help sweep. although all they were really doing was holding the dustpan! :)
”Mommy-Brain
HELPS THEM APPRECIATE WHAT YOU DO
and this is really the reason why we give them chores, no?
they will understand that clothes don't hang themselves up, dishes don't magically get washed and their home isn't cleaned because a fairy visited at night to do it all.
they will gain a new sense of appreciation for their home and room being clean, their clothes being washed, and being taken care of.
for a long time, i thought giving them chores would ruin their childhood or something, until i realized i was not really doing them a favor.
just don't get carried away and ask them to do everything while you sit and watch reruns of the real housewives or something. THAT would frowned upon girls.
next week we'll do chapter two on my little handbook. :)
what are your thoughts on chores for kids? or what are your thoughts today period? have a lovely wednesday!
 photo siggie_zpsf7137529.jpg



linking up with:

Mommy brain mixer


9 comments:

Brittany Kyte said...

I completely agree with all of the above! Our future kiddos will definitely have chores!

17 Perth said...

Wow. This is a great, thought-out roundup. I don't have kids yet...but I love so many of your ideas...and I agree completely!

Leah said...

Great ideas! Thanks for stopping by our blog and for the sweet comment! :)

helen said...

love this!!! if God wills for us to have kids, i'll definitely keep this in mind!

Sandy a la Mode said...

i will need to remember this for when my little guy gets a little older! he does help clean up sometimes now, which is nice! :)

xo,
Sandy
Sandy a la Mode

Jelli said...

As a child, I begged and begged for an allowance in exchange for the chore duties my parents gave me. I never did win that battle or understand why I had to help. As a parent, I "get" it now, and my kids will most definitely be helping out around the house. My little girl can already put her toys to "night night" when I ask, which makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

I definitely want to incorporate my son in daily activities! At what age does the introduction work best? Haha, I've tried to get him involved in littel things now- at 3- but he's usually resistant and I don't want to make him hate it.
one sweet tuesday.

The Olive Tree Blog said...

yep. you nailed it. i was just reading the other day how we can really hinder our children by doing thing for them that they can do themselves... ie: picking up dirty clothes, taking plates to the sink... all age appropriate things.

my kids were dommed from the beginning I am a hopeless neat freak.lol

Coretta said...

Growing up helping around the house was a must to show our appreciation to our parents. The return was that they clothed, fed and entertained us! My Little's are super helpful and I intend on keeping it that way! Great post, stopping by from Mommy-Brain Mixer!